In the terms of rough economy, many businesses are forced to shrink the budgets or even downsize the staff. To survive and succeed in such an unstable marketplace, companies have to produce more, while spending less. An ITIL business process standing for Information Technology Infrastructure Library is a sophisticated component of BPM software aimed to capture, document, and manage customer-centric processes, which are best at positively influencing the overall organization’s performance. When smartly managed, processes enable organizations to overcome any business challenges and pressures.
State-of-the-art business process management software, like bpm’online, allows for the orchestration, which is needed to streamline and control the initiatives and mandates of a company’s IT department (read more about bpm’online on Wikipedia).
ITIL business processes contribute to improving the delivery of goods and service along with boosting a team’s productivity and satisfaction. By aligning processes with best-practices predefined in a BPM program, companies gain a better control over IT services, obtaining an ability to optimize and automate critical business activities, increase customer loyalty, and, ultimately, reduce operational costs.
A company-wide BPM system delivers tools to map and deploy in the enterprise’s IT infrastructure the best-practice ITIL business processes. With ITIL, organizations can achieve the desired business results including the revenue growth, expansion of the market share, improvement of customer service, and adherence of business strategies to the industry trends and legal requirements.
The importance of ITIL business processes
Companies that are familiar with such notions as effective performance and maximum productivity understand their dependency on their IT infrastructure, which is meant to assist businesses in achieving their corporate goals. IT services enable all departments and systems of a company to work on a peak of capacity.
However, IT departments today are facing an increasing need for more intelligent software, which can provide a full-featured set of business process standards that will empower companies to respond to ongoing changes and address potential issues. The BPM tools are an ideal IT solution that provides for more dynamic and better-controlled workflows/operations, an enhanced integrity of data and communication, and improved electronic document flow.
ITIL is the world’s most commonly used approach in the IT service management. It is an IT repository that provides a full range of international public and private sectors recommendations (best practices). Put it simply, ITIL primarily focuses on implementing and maintaining the business processes by aligning IT services with the business goals to add value to the key activities.
By using ITIL pre-packaged in good business process management software like https://www.bpmonline.com/crm-products, IT departments can design processes by graphically mapping out their steps, tasks, and variables and establish the right measurements for each instance to track and control execution of any process and its owners.
Various external services and applications (e-mail notifications, alerts, calls, etc.) can be integrated into the chart of process instances to be automatically invoked once a process proceeds from one stage to another.
ITIL business process solutions make it possible to:
- Identify processes. The program identifies mission-critical business processes for the purpose of their further improvement;
- Discover processes. By leveraging ITIL recommendations and guidelines, IT specialists can map the visual diagrams of identified business process;
- Analyze processes: BPM software monitors the function of business processes and presents these insights in customizable dashboards, so that process exceptions, weaknesses, and bottlenecks can be addressed once they occur;
- Redesign processes. BPM allows for making changes in the process steps in order to bring a process up to date and strip away duplicate activities;
- Improve processes. By having a comprehensive view of processes, it is possible to close the performance gaps and interruptions by eliminating non-value-contributing activities.
Taking advantage of ITIL business processes
Basically, the ITIL business processes take cost and complexity out of IT service management. A process designer of full-functioned BPM+CRM software makes the implementation of complex ITIL-compliant business operations easier, quicker, and more cost-efficient. A user-friendly graphical interface supports simple, drag-n-drop process modeling and editing. The integration of BPM systems empowers the IT members to:
- add greater compliance to performance due to a built-in central log repository and audit trail;
- automate manual error-prone activities to save costs and improve productivity;
- enforce change management policies and prevent change-related process disruptions;
- develop a library of process steps that can be edited, updated, and reused for new processes at any time;
- link applications, which are scattered across systems and units in seamless workflows;
- reduce the time of process modeling and execution from days to hours or even minutes.
Obviously, modern BPM software is the right tool for developing and maintaining company-wide ITIL business processes. Such a system can provide designing to auditing for every aspect regarding process lifecycle. BPM programs easily integrate with any third-party applications, linking their functions to the core business processes, contributing to the overall business standardization, optimization, and automation. By using proper BPM tools, such as bpm’online in the IT infrastructure, companies can diminish costs, improve SLAs, and align key operations with business objectives and needs, which is the main purpose of ITIL-compliant processes.